THE GOLDEN SLIPPER
* Todman won the inaugural Slipper in 1957 by eight lengths and started at 1-6
* Magic Night (1961) the first filly to win
* Won by 26 colts, seven geldings and 25 fillies
* Seventeen favourites have won, the latest Overreach in 2013
* TJ Smith is the only person to have bred, owned and trained a Golden Slipper winner – Bounding Away in 1986
* Smith also holds the Slipper training record of six wins – Fairy Walk (1971), John’s Hope (1972), Hartshill (1974), Toy Show (1975), Bounding Away (1986) and Star Watch in 1988
* Smith’s daughter Gai Waterhouse has trained five while Bart Cummings, Lee Freedman and Clarry Conners have won it four times
* Waterhouse trained the trifecta in 2001 when her first winner Ha Ha beat Excellerator and Red Hannigan
* Waterhouse’s other Slipper winners are: Dance Hero (2004), Sebring (2008), Pierro (2012) and Overreach (2013). She will start favourite Vancouver, English and Speak Fondly on Saturday.
* Barrier one is the most successful producing nine winners.
* Winning barriers and the last winner to jump from them are: Barrier 1 – nine winners (Overreach 2013); 2 – two (Dance Hero 2004); 3 – six (Catbird 1999); 4 – five (Century Miss 1979); 5 – four (Sebring 2008); 6 – three (Stratum 2005); 7 – two (Miss Finland 2006); 8 – six (Sepoy 2011); 9 – three (Sweet Embrace 1967); 10 – five (Danzero 1994); 11 – four (Mossfun); 12 – two (Inspired 1984); 13 – nil (-); 14 – four (Polar Success 2003); 15 – one (Star Watch 1988); 16 – one (Phelan Ready 2009).
* Ready For Victory will attempt to become the least experienced winner of the race at his second start.
* Only two horses have broken their maiden with a Slipper win – Sweet Embrace (1967) and Fairy Walk (1971). Blue Diamond placegetters Reemah and Lake Geneva are maidens going into this year’s renewal.
The unbeaten Vancouver was dominant in the Todman Stakes but needs to overcome the second outside barrier. Exosphere has emerged as Godolphin’s leading hope of its four runners after his convincing Skyline Stakes win. Vancouver and Exosphere are the only two runners under double-figure odds.
Vancouver might have to roll forward from the wide gate. Haybah, Haptic and Speak Fondly are all on-speed runners with Furnaces likely to use barrier one and be prominent.
Headwater should race in the first half of the field while Exosphere has come from behind in his two dominant wins.
Article from JustHorseRacing.com.au