The third game of Saturday AFL Round 19 matches is between Gold Coast Suns and St Kilda Saints. The game is set to commence at 7:40 PM local time with the game to be played at Metricon Stadium. Home team Gold Coast Suns go into the match as the favourites in the market. View our preview and teams for the game between Gold Coast Suns and St Kilda Saints.
Round: Round 19 , August 02, 2014, 7:40 PM
Stadium: Metricon Stadium
Weather: 20° Sunny
[iframe_loader width=”690″ height=”310″ src=”http://www.sportsnews.com.au/odds/afl/match.php?id=1431731&sb&lx&b3″]
TWO WEEKS ago this match looked a foregone conclusion, but after their last-start results, now has some genuine interest. Following two straight losses, including a 54-point capitulation against the Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast is out of the top eight and almost on its last chance to qualify for a maiden finals appearance. Lose this one, and the Suns are gone. At the other end of the spectrum are the Saints, who pulled off one of the biggest upsets of the season with a 58-point walloping of premiership fancies Fremantle to end an 11-game losing streak. The banged-up Suns, minus skipper Gary Ablett, have looked lethargic and lazy in the past fortnight, but back on their home deck they should resuscitate their season with a win here.
LAST FIVE TIMES
R9, 2014, Gold Coast 19.11 (125) d St Kilda 13.9 (87) at Etihad Stadium
R22, 2013, St Kilda 17.14 (116) d Gold Coast 10.10 (70) at Etihad Stadium
R1, 2013, Gold Coast 13.12 (90) d St Kilda 10.17 (77) at Metricon Stadium
R11, 2012, St Kilda 21.18 (144) d Gold Coast 7.7 (49) at Metricon Stadium
R2, 2012, St Kilda 21.13 (139) d Gold Coast 7.5 (47) at Etihad Stadium
THE SIX POINTS
1. The Suns were comfortable winners in round nine, with their midfield running riot. Ablett was the star with 37 disposals and four goals, while Jaeger O’Meara (29), Dion Prestia (28) and David Swallow (28) were also prolific.
2. Gold Coast is one of the best contested possession teams in the League, ranked second with 146.7 a game, while St Kilda has struggled, ranked 17th with an average of 127.7.
3. The Saints have a good record at Metricon Stadium, with five wins and three losses, and just one loss there since 1989.
4. Gold Coast is the most inefficient team disposing of the ball in 2014, ranked 18th, operating at 70.4 per cent, while the Saints are ranked 13th at 71.4 per cent.
5. St Kilda’s 118 points against Fremantle in round 18 was not only its highest score of the season, but also the first time it had topped the ton this season. Gold Coast has kicked just nine and eight goals respectively in its past two losses.
6. Midfielder Shane Savage loves playing the Suns and averages 15.2 points a game against them according to the AFL Official Player Ratings. Savage has risen 87 spots in the past five weeks to No.238 overall.
Gold Coast Suns:
HB Sean Lemmens, Trent McKenzie, David Swallow.
C Jarrod Harbrow, Danny Stanley, Matt Shaw.
HF Michael Rischitelli, Tom Lynch, Harley Bennell.F
Jack Martin, Sam Day, Aaron Hall.
Fol Daniel Gorringe, Jaeger O’Meara, Dion Prestia.
I/C Timmy Sumner, Alex Sexton, Jesse Lonergan, Louis Herbert.
Emg Matthew Warnock, Clay Cameron, Tom Murphy..
In Trent McKenzie, Michael Rischitelli, Daniel Gorringe, Timmy Sumner.
Out Charlie Dixon (Quad), Zac Smith (Ankle), Luke Russell (Hip), Clay Cameron (omitted).
St Kilda Saints:
B Dylan Roberton, James Gwilt, Sean Dempster.
HB Shane Savage, Luke Delaney, Sam Fisher.C
Jack Newnes, Lenny Hayes, Leigh Montagna.HF
Adam Schneider, Nick Riewoldt, Tom Curren.F
Jack Billings, Rhys Stanley, Josh Bruce.Fol
Billy Longer, David Armitage, Maverick Weller.I/C
Jack Steven, Farren Ray, Brodie Murdoch, Luke Dunstan.
Emg Sebastian Ross, Sam Dunell, Cameron Shenton..
In: Jack Steven.
Out Cameron Shenton (omitted)