The second game of Saturday AFL Round 18 matches is between Greater Western Sydney Giants and Geelong Cats. The game is set to commence at 7:40 PM local time with the game to be played at Spotless Stadium. Away team Geelong Cats go into the match as the favourites in the market. View our preview and teams for the game between Greater Western Sydney Giants and Geelong Cats.
Round: Round 18 , July 19, 2014, 7:40 PM
Stadium: Spotless Stadium
Weather: 18° Mostly sunny.
[iframe_loader width=”690″ height=”310″ src=”http://www.sportsnews.com.au/odds/afl/match.php?id=1431673&sb&lx&b3″]
GEELONG heads to Sydney with its top-four hopes bolstered by both its solid recent form, winning five of its past six games, and Port Adelaide’s unexpected slip-up. But the Cats need to keep winning if they want to stay there, starting with their third match ever against GWS. The Giants have improved noticeably in 2014, picking up four victories, but are returning from a tough trip west to face Fremantle. Injuries are mounting up for the youngsters and it will take a mighty effort to stay in touch with Geelong in this one.
LAST TWO TIMES
R11, 2013, Geelong 24.13 (157) d GWS 15.8 (98) at Spotless Stadium
R10, 2012, Geelong 19.12 (126) d GWS 9.7 (61) at Simonds Stadium
THE SIX POINTS
1. Last time the teams met, GWS was within eight points at half-time and two goals at the final change before being overrun.
2. The Cats have won just one match from five interstate trips in 2014, their victory over the Brisbane Lions back in round two. It’s their worst record outside Victoria since also finishing 1-4 back in 2005.
3. Both teams are elite tackling outfits. Geelong is ranked first overall with 75.5 tackles per game, while GWS is fifth at 71.5.
4. The Giants remain strong at centre clearances, ranked equal-second with 13.6 per game. The Cats are down in equal-16th with 11.1.
5. Inside 50s have regularly been an issue for GWS and that is again the case this year, sitting 15th with just 48 per game. Geelong is ranked fifth with 52.1.
6. Geelong skipper Joel Selwood is having another mighty year and leads Geelong in the Official AFL Player Ratings at No.3 overall, behind only Gary Ablett and Scott Pendlebury.
GWS GIANTS :
B Adam Tomlinson, Phil Davis, Adam Kennedy.
HB Zac Williams, Lachie Plowman, Tim Mohr.
C Will Hoskin-Elliott, Rhys Palmer, Tomas Bugg.
HF Tom Boyd, Jonathon Patton, Devon Smith.
F Josh Hunt, Jeremy Cameron, Callan Ward.
Fol Shane Mumford, Toby Greene, Tom Scully
I/C Adam Treloar, Jono O’Rourke, Dylan Shiel, Joshua Kelly.
Emg Tim Golds, Jacob Townsend, Mark Whiley
In Tom Boyd, Jonathon Patton, Josh Hunt, Adam Treloar.
Out Rory Lobb (knee), Lachlan Whitfield (shoulder), Jacob Townsend (omitted), Matt Buntine (calf).
B Jared Rivers, Tom Lonergan, Andrew Mackie
HB Cameron Guthrie, Harry Taylor, Mitch Duncan
C Corey Enright, Jimmy Bartel, Steven Motlop
HF Allen Christensen, Shane Kersten, George Horlin-Smith
F Travis Varcoe, Tom Hawkins, Steve Johnson
Fol Hamish McIntosh, Josh Caddy, Joel Selwood
I/C James Kelly, Jordan Murdoch, Dawson Simpson, Mathew Stokes
Emg Jed Bews, Brad Hartman, Billie Smedts
In Dawson Simpson, Mathew Stokes
Out Brad Hartman (omitted), Mark Blicavs (managed).